This year I am really getting focused on writing grants, going to conferences, and getting some publications out there. There are several opportunities in each of these professional development areas. This weekend I am going to the National Geographic Grant Workshop. My research has come to a halt due to my class and teaching load but I will be devoting myself to my research more as the semester progresses. On the up side my plants are increasing in size ever since Ken offered me a diluted fertilizer for my Hibiscus seedlings. I will hold my committee meeting soon to determine what I need to add to my project for this year. There is a lot going on in the realm of teaching as well. Bio150 discussions are going well but my students are not pleased with lecture. I hope more of them come in for office hours after they get their first exam grades. Darwin Day Teaching Workshop and the TSTA conference should be productive this year. Kelley and I will be submitting a proposal soon. There is even a chance for publishing an short article about the workshop for Darwin Day in a teaching journal. Fast times at Ridgemont High!
The first day of classes is this Wednesday and I am getting the feeling it is going to be a very interesting semester. Already a lot on my plate for teaching, taking classes, meetings, and other stuff but I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't wait! I say that now but soon will come the tread.
So I am teaching BIO130 this summer and the class is going well. I am also going to Field Botany to learn plant identification. Not my strong suit. So far I have learned a ton, especially on our field trip. Can't wait for more. I have some photos of what we looked at and will post those shortly, hopefully with captions.
This week I am working with some of my sequencing datasets to form basic phylogenetic trees. This process is actually pretty rewarding because I get to see the fruits of my lab labor.
Below is an ITS tree of Hibiscus with several of my clones from arnhemensis. Of course, I will need more to determine the origin of the genome groups. Also, I found out all my Hibiscus splendens sequences are actually a fungi so I will have to re-clone. Bummer... Thankfully, I have several other datasets to analyze.
I am looking into the EAPSI program so that I can go to Australia next summer to study the Hibiscus populations present there. It would be an awesome opportunity and I am excited but right now I need to worry about my proposal for the EEB Grant due Friday.
Today is Earth Day and what better way to celebrate than enjoying the great outdoors than starting a blog indoors. The weather is not permitting a stroll today so I will have to wait til this weekend. I am going to start recording the plant and fungal species I see, identify, and take pictures of then put them on here.